Tuesday, February 1, 2011

man, that feels good.

That's what I imagine Dean would say to me if he could talk.  "Gosh mama, this clean cotton against my tush feels so much better than whatever is in those other diapers."  Though, I am still using those other diapers on rare occasion.  I don't think the cloth can handle the night time.  He really wets his diapers when he's sleeping.  The other is when I drop him off at my in-laws on Fridays.  They watch four kids, all under the age of 3.  Yes, three.  I would not & do not expect to have them deal with the cloth diapers while three other kids run around.  They do enough as it is.

Despite how it sounds, the diapers are easy.  There is definitely a learning curve, but I feel like I tackled that in about 4 diaper changes.  No, they're not as easy as the pull & stick tabs on a Huggie.  No, they're not as easy to just throw away and never deal with again. 

However, once you get used to it, it's not bad.

I double up the layers so he doesn't leak through.  I fold the edges to form my own barrier to leaks.  I stick the pins parallel to his body.  I started out vertical, and that just wasn't cutting it.  I also have poked myself about a bajillion times in the 24 hours I've been doing this.  That's probably the only really annoying part about it.  But maybe I'm just really bad at that part.  I just hope I never poke him.

It only takes a minute longer to put on than the Huggs, and it's just as quick to come off.

The storage issue was something I was wary about.  Where was I going to put these wet/soiled diapers in between being dirtied and being washed?  There are "wet bags" you can buy, but that's just more $$$.  There are pails that you fill with water and then let the diapers sit in the water until you wash them.  (in hopes to avoid set-in stains)  Does this option make you wanna hurl?  Yeh, me too.  I can't imagine wet-uriny-poopy diapers chillin' in water - it's basically it's own soup.  vomit.  for reals.  So I was perplexed.  Then one day it just popped in my head.  Use the Diaper Genie without the plastic bags.  So far, so good.  It keeps the odor in without being soupy & gross.  Keep in mind I only have 12 diapers so I use almost all of them each day.  The last two days I have just washed the diapers at night, and they're ready to go in the morning.  So they have not had to sit in the genie for more than a day.

And yes, I'll be getting more diapers.  I realize running my washing machine every night is not environmentally friendly either.  (Although better that sitting in a landfill for 500+ years trying to decompose.)  I just wanted to make sure I could work with the cloth before I went and bought the whole supply.

All of this has really got me proud of myself.  (Yes, I'm patting myself on the back as I type.)  In all seriousness, I'm so happy I decided to try this option.  I will be putting ONE diaper into the landfills today instead of 6.  And I feel bad about that one!  Hopefully I can find a night time option soon.

So basically, the cloth is working.  He's happy && I'm happy.  Isn't that the important part?  It's just a bonus that it's cheap! and environmentally friendly! and more comfortable!

No comments:

Post a Comment